Abbreviations for SQL Server Components when Installing with PowerShell

I have (finally) been introduced to installing SQL Server with PowerShell and it has made those installations much easier.  Each of my installs; however, may require different SQL Server components so one of the items in my configuration file I change is the Features= section of the INI file.  To help keep all this information in one place, here is a list of items you can choose to install.  Remember, most of these will require other parameters to be set–this is only for the Features= section.  Each feature should be separated by a comma.

SQLInstalFeatureNames

SQL Server Component Install Options

This list specifies the items you can choose to install.

Database engine = SQLENGINE
Replication = REPLICATION
Full-text and semantic extractions for search = FULLTEXT
Data quality services = DQ
Analysis services = AS
Reporting services – native = RS
Reporting services – sharepoint = RS_SHP
Reporting services add-in for sharepoint products = RS_SHPWFE
Data quality client = DQC
SQL Server data tools = BIDS
Client tools connectivity = CONN
Integration services = IS
Client tools backwards compatibility = BC
Client tools SDK = SDK
Documentation components = BOL
Management tools – basic = SSMS
Management tools – advanced = ADV_SSMS
Distributed replay controller = DREPLAY_CTLR
Distributed replay client = DREPLAY_CLT
SQL client connectivity SDK = SNAC_SDK
Master data services = MDS

Happy installing. 🙂

Upgrading SSRS From SQL 2005 to SQL 2012

These instructions should also work with upgrading SQL 2008 and SQL 2008R2 as well; however, my experience was upgrading from SQL 2005.  I was pleasantly surprised with the process; however, I ran into one little bump which I detail below.  I also upgraded from SQL Enterprise 2005 to Standard 2012.

On the New Server

SSRSConfigStep1I installed Reporting Services.  SQL Server happened to be on the same server as the reporting services service, but this is not required.  The 2005 installation was separate from the database.  I installed with no configuration and then used the Reporting Services Configuration Manager to set the Service Account, the Email Settings, set the Web Service URL, and the Report Manager URL.  I did not set the database just yet.

I restored the Reporting Service databases ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB on the new server.  While I believe you could modify the compatibility level at this point, I did not.  I should note my service account is the same AD account on both instances.  You may have to grant some permissions if you use a different account.

On the Old Server

I took a backup of the encryption keys.  I then copied that file to the new server.

The Big Finale

On the new server, I then connected to the 2012 database and Reporting Services took care of the rest.  It liked the new databases and I received no warnings or errors.

Because I had not updated the compatibility level, I stopped reporting services, updated the compatibility level and then restarted reporting services.  Up to this point, I was all good.

The last step was to restore the encryption keys on the new server using the file from the old server.  As this is something I don’t test often enough, I was glad this went without a hitch.  🙂

Tripping Over the Finish Line

I then opened up the browser and when to http://localhost/reports where I was greeted with–a big error!  The feature: “Scale-out deployment” is not supported in this edition of Reporting Services.  It appears the restoration of the encryption keys added the original server to the configuration and now Reporting Services was unhappy.  To remove the old server from the configuration, I tool the following steps.

I opened a command prompt and when to “C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft SQL Server110ToolsBinn”.  I then used the RSKeyMgmt utility with the -l flag to show the list of servers in my configuration.

RSKeyMgmt –l

I Removed the instance of the old server using the following command:

RSKeyMgmt -r GUIDofOldServer

I restarted SSRS for good measure and I was able to access all the reports on the new server.  I haven’t finished all my testing, but so far it looks good.