I have (finally) been introduced to installing SQL Server with PowerShell and it has made those installations much easier. Each of my installs; however, may require different SQL Server components so one of the items in my configuration file I change is the Features= section of the INI file. To help keep all this information in one place, here is a list of items you can choose to install. Remember, most of these will require other parameters to be set–this is only for the Features= section. Each feature should be separated by a comma.
SQL Server Component Install Options
This list specifies the items you can choose to install.
Database engine = SQLENGINE
Replication = REPLICATION
Full-text and semantic extractions for search = FULLTEXT
Data quality services = DQ
Analysis services = AS
Reporting services – native = RS
Reporting services – sharepoint = RS_SHP
Reporting services add-in for sharepoint products = RS_SHPWFE
Data quality client = DQC
SQL Server data tools = BIDS
Client tools connectivity = CONN
Integration services = IS
Client tools backwards compatibility = BC
Client tools SDK = SDK
Documentation components = BOL
Management tools – basic = SSMS
Management tools – advanced = ADV_SSMS
Distributed replay controller = DREPLAY_CTLR
Distributed replay client = DREPLAY_CLT
SQL client connectivity SDK = SNAC_SDK
Master data services = MDS
Happy installing. 🙂
A recent upgrade to SQL 2012 reminded me of an issue most will face as they upgrade to the new version. With the advent of sequences in SQL Server 2012, a change was made to the way identities are issued. The short story is each time you restart the instances, your identities will increase by 1,000. This is really only a big deal if
- You are close to the limit of an integer (2147483647) or
- These values are shown to the end users in your system and they wonder why there was a big spike.
Ahasan Habib has a good write-up of the issue, so I won’t recreate all his steps; however, the good news is there is a workaround for this. Like always, make sure you test before you implement the change and hopefully you won’t have to answer the question–why is there a big gap in the numbers? 🙂
I installed SQL Server on a machine the other day, I connected from my desktop, finished my normal server setup routine and life went on. Later, I connected to the machine via Remote Desktop, fired up SSMS and got this error message.
With an accompanying error in the log
Login failed for user ‘MyAccount’. [CLIENT: ]
Error: 18456, Severity: 14, State: 11.
Very strange, I thought to myself. Turns out I had added my account to the local administrator’s group and not created a Login on the SQL Server. (It also appears I missed a step on my server checklist, as I normally remove the BuiltinAdministrators group, but who is keeping score?)
I create the Login, and specified the group, and I was good to go.
CREATE LOGIN [DomainAccount] FROM WINDOWS;
EXEC sp_addsrvrolemember [DomainAccount], ‘sysadmin’;
I was installing SQL Server SP1 on a one node cluster (long story) and I got this error “There was a failure to calculate the default value of setting PatchResult.” It turns out when I launched SQLServer2012SP1-KB2674319-x64-ENU.exe, it put the temporary folder–you know xcdswer-wersdf-weradf on a drive in the cluster. The patch restarted the sql server service rendering the drive from which the service pack was trying to install unavailable. I copied the temp folder to the local c: drive and I was able to install with no problems.